Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Quick Lasagna Recipe

I've decided I am going to share a recipe(s) of the week that I use in my healthy eating diet thing I have going on here. I think it's easier to eat healthy when the meal is already prepared for you. I like my lunch breaks but in the past since I didn't have time to prepare a meal I ended up settling for whatever was quick and easy, which usually ended up being hotpockets and snacks. I have started dedicating a day to cooking my healthy meals for breakfast and lunch. During week one, if you looked over my workouts and food choices, you will see the name "quick lasagna" pop up for my lunch meals.

First, I must say this doesn't taste like lasagna... instead it reminds me of goolosh or hamburger helper. This is the closest thing I can think to compare it too and keep in mind I haven't eaten beef in 15 years. Regardless, it didn't taste horrible, in fact I thought it was way better than it looked and found it very filling.

Quick Lasagna
1 package of whole wheat bow tie pasta
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 cup of chopped onion (optional.. i don't like onion so i skipped this step)
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 lb of extra lean ground beef OR ground turkey breast
Salt and black pepper
1 cup of non fat cottage cheese
2 tbsp of parmesan cheese (optional... i didn't use this, i think it smells like dirty feet... just being honest, so I substituted italian seasoning)

Cooking Directions
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the bowtie pasta and cook accordingly, when finished, drain well.

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the optional onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

3. Add ground turkey (beef), stirring to break up any clumps of meat until cooked through, this takes about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and italian seasoning.

4. Add the cottage cheese and mix well. (it starts getting gooey)

5. Divide the pasta into bowls. Pour the mixture on top of the pasta and sprinkle your dirty feet dust (i mean parmesan cheese) on top.

This makes 4 servings


No comments:

Post a Comment